In case you're wondering where Liverpool and Manchester are, look
- I gained a B.Sc.(Hons) Degree in Mathematics and Computer
Science in 1983, an M.Sc. Degree in Systems Design in 1984, and
a Ph.D. in Computer Science in 1987 (title:
``Temporal Logics for Abstract
all from the University of
- From 1986 until 1993, I worked within the
Department of Computer
at the University of
Manchester as a Research Associate on various UK and European
research projects (funded by Alvey, SERC, and Esprit).
- In April 1993, I moved to the Department of Computing (as it was
then; it is now the Department of Computing
and Mathematics), within the
University, as a Principal Lecturer. In
1995 I became a Reader and, in 1997, I was appointed Professor
of Logic and Computation.
- In January 2001, I moved to the University of
to become Professor of Computer
Science within the Department of Computer
and head the
- From March 2019 I have held a Royal
Academy of Engineering Chair in Emerging Technologies
on the topic of Responsible Autonomous Systems. This provides long-term funding for my position.