General info about Academic positions at Liverpool can be found one the University’s Carreers pages. See below for some directions sorted by career stage.
Early Career Fellowships
There are several competitive fellowship schemes to support talented researchers who are not already holding a permanent position. These are externally funded and typically offer between 2 and 5 years of full salary plus additional funds for travel and hardware and so on.
Applications are made directly to the external funders and nominate a host institution. We welcome enquiries from anyone who wants to apply to such a fellowship with Liverpool as host and are happy to support your application at best as possible. Keep in mind that putting an application together takes quite a bit of time, so please contact us well in advance to discuss an application.
For specific eligibility requirements, funding conditions and deadlines for fellowship schemes check out their websites directly:
- ERC Starting Grants: Up to 5 years; 2-7 years experience after PhD. Annual deadlines in October.
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships 3 years; no more than 4 years postdoctoral experience. Annual deadlines in March.
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowships 2 years, mobility essential, deadlines in September;
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships 5 years; flexible working patterns are required. Deadlines in October, pays for 80% of your time so university match finding required.
- Royal Society Newton International Fellowships: 2 years initially, possibility of extensions. Only for non-UK citizens. Deadlines in March.
- Royal Society University Research Fellowships 5 years; 3-8 years post-doc experience required.
- UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships 5 years; applicants will need to go through a university level selection process first.
Want to do a PhD with us? Great! The first thing to do is to contact potential supervisors to see if they are willing to take you on.
For funding, there are several routes.
Firstly, there are currently two Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs) associated with our department. Risk and Uncertainty and Distributed Algorithms. These offer a 4 year funding and already propose some project topics.
If you have a project in mind and a proposal ready, you can apply directly to the EPSRC for funding, or UoLs Duncan Norman Scholarship.
Your chosen supervisor may have secured external funding for PhDs, or can apply for departmental funding with you.
Summer Research Internships: If you are a current undergraduate student considering a MSc, or later career in research, a summer research internship would be an excellent starting point. These usually run in between term times, from June to September. To arrange an internship you can get in contact with potential supervisor by email.
The faculty has a number of studentships for PG students. Check out the UoL PG funding pages.