Information for PhD Students
Your first point of contact is your supervisors. Your supervisor should also propose two IPAP members who can give additional advice and will assess your progress at the end of each year. Here is a summary of the responsibilities of both supervisors and students taken from the Computer Science PGR Handbook. This has been adapted from the PGR Code of Practice.
If you have any concerns over your PhD programme please talk to your supervisors, IPAP members, the EEE/CS Postgraduate Administrator (Alison Goodyear and Joe Sheridan), the Computer Science Director of Studies (Giorgos Christodoulou) or any other staff member you feel comfortable talking to.
There are many University Support Services that can help you during difficult circumstances. Please see the links further down the page.
Here is a list of progress dates for students starting during the academic year (rather than September-November).
- The School EEE/CS Postgraduate Administrator is Alison Goodyear. Alison is mainly located in EEE but she also has a desk in Ashton G.07. Joe Sheridan is the School Postgraduate Research Student Experience Administrator.
- Rebekah Martin whose office is Ashton G.07 will also provide support where necessary. This office is open from 9:30 to 4:30 Monday to Friday.
- The Departmental Director of Postgraduate Research (DDPR) is Dr Giorgos Christodoulou
- The School Director of Postgraduate Research (DDPR) is Dr Clare Dixon
- The Academic Head of Computer Science is Professor Boris Konev
- The Dean of School is Professor Katie Atkinson
- Contacts for the University PGR student team.
- The PGR Development Programme Contacts
University PGR web sites
- Information from the University PGR Student team
- The PGR Development Programme
- The Faculty of Science and Engineering PGR Web Pages
- The Postgraduate Research Code of Practice
- The University Programme Ordinances See Ordinance 57 for PhDs (Ordinance 56 for MPhil)
- The Student Administration Postgraduate Research A-Z of Forms and Procedures
- Liverpool Doctoral College
- Liverpool Doctoral College Intranet
Postgraduate Research Staff-Student Liaison CommitteeThe PhD representatives who sit on the Postgraduate Staff-Student Liaison Committee are
- Flavia Alves
- Emmanouil Bakopoulos
- Thomas Carroll
- Xia Cui
- Daniel Fernandes Gomes
- James O'Neill
- Tom Spooner
PhD Progress Committee
Following the End of Year Progress IPAP meetings, borderline or unsatisfactory PhD End of Year Progress Reports are passed to the PhD Progress Committee to assess progress. The PhD Progress Committee for 2011-13 was Clare Dixon, Paul Dunne, Leszek Gasieniec, Piotr Krysta. The PhD Progress Committee for 2013-17 was Clare Dixon, Paul Dunne, Martin Gairing, Darek Kowalski.The PhD Progress Committee for 2017-19 is Clare Dixon, Giorgos Christodoulou, Martin Gairing, Yannis Goulermas, Darek Kowalski.
- The University Postgraduate Research Handbook
- The Departmental Postgraduate Research Handbook (October 2018)
University and the Student Guild Support Services
- Student Service
- Advice and Guidance
- Disability Advice and Guidance
- International Advice and Guidance
- Money Advice and Guidance
- Counselling Service
- Mental Health Advisory Service
- Sexual Assault, harassment and hate crime
- Bullying and Harassment
- Liverpool Student Guild A separate body to the University that offers many support services.
Mail addressed to postgraduate students is delivered to the mailboxes located in the common room on the ground floor. You should check your mailbox and your electronic mail regularly.